Sunscreen Application Tips - Dos and Don'ts of Sunscreen
Sunscreen is an essential part of any skincare regimen, particularly for women who spend a lot of time outside. Now that the temperature is on the rise, you can’t afford leaving the house without sunscreen. It not only protects your skin from the damaging UV rays, but it also prevents premature ageing, dark spots, and skin cancer. However, simply applying sunscreen isn’t enough, applying it correctly is important. Here is a list of dos and don’ts of sunscreen application that you should keep in mind, if you haven’t been doing it already.
Dos of Sunscreen:
- Choose the right sunscreen: It is important to choose the right sunscreen for your skin type. If you have oily skin, choose a lightweight and oil-free sunscreen. If you have dry skin, choose a moisturising sunscreen that will hydrate your skin. We recommend using the Bright Complete Vitamin C Serum Cream with SPF 40/PA +++. It is a perfect sunscreen to hydrate your skin and protect it from sun damage. Infused with vitamin C and yuzu lemon extract, this serum cream brightens your skin and gives you blemish free skin in no time.
- Apply sunscreen every day: Here’s a pro sunscreen application tip for you. Sunscreen should be a part of your daily skincare routine, even on days when it’s cloudy or raining. Apply sunscreen 15-20 minutes before you step outside and reapply it every 2 hours.
- Use enough sunscreen: It is important to use enough sunscreen to cover your entire face and body. This is an important sunscreen application tip for you. Here’s how you can determine how much sunscreen is enough – take three fingers and draw a thick line of sunscreen on each one. That is the amount of sunscreen you should be applying on your entire face and neck. Ensure you massage the product in your skin until it gets absorbed.
- Reapply sunscreen after swimming or sweating: Sunscreen can get washed away while swimming or sweating. Even a water-resistant sunscreen can last only for up to 80 minutes in the water. Reapplying your sunscreen after swimming or sweating is yet another pro tip for applying sunscreen.
- Wear sun-protective clothing: Sun-protective clothing can help to protect your skin by blocking UV radiation. Wear long-sleeved shirts, pants, caps or hats and sunglasses to protect your skin from the sun.
Don'ts of Sunscreen:
- Don't use expired sunscreen: Sunscreens lose effectiveness with time. So, always check the expiration date before applying it.
- Don't apply sunscreen over makeup: This tip for applying sunscreen can help you protect your skin in an effective manner along with making it look better with makeup. Applying sunscreen over makeup can cause it to smear and make it less effective. Instead, apply sunscreen before you put on makeup.
- Don't use too little sunscreen: You wish you knew this sunscreen application tip sooner. Using little to no sunscreen can reduce its effectiveness. Make sure to use enough sunscreen to cover your entire face. And don’t just cover you face, apply it on and behind your ears and neck as well.
- Don’t use the same sunscreen for face and body: Your face is much more sensitive than your body. The ingredients that suit the rest of your body may or may not suit your facial skin. Hence, it’s better to use different sunscreens for face and body. Follow this sunscreen application tip to avoid any damage to your skin.
- Don't assume all sunscreens are the same: Not all sunscreens are the same. Look for sunscreens that provide broad-spectrum protection, which means they block both UVA and UVB rays.
In addition to these dos and don'ts of sunscreen, avoid going out in the sun during peak hours. It's also crucial to note that applying sunscreen alone will not help if your lifestyle is a mess. You should also follow good skin practices like staying hydrated, eating a nutritious diet, getting enough sleep, and following a skincare routine religiously.
Now that you know the dos and don’ts of sunscreen, invest in a good sunscreen that suits your skin. Browse through the wide range of skincare products by Garnier to pair them with your sunscreen, and flaunt healthy, glowing skin.