Moisturizer 101: How to pick the right one to get a flawless makeup finish
When it comes to makeup, your face is like an empty canvas where you can put different colours, layer after layer, to get the best makeup finish. Now, imagine if that canvas is uneven, it will obviously impact the final result, in this case it is your base makeup. This is why it’s important to ensure that you have a smooth surface to apply your makeup on. Enter moisturizer! A moisturizer can help you to retain moisture and improve skin elasticity. In case, you’re still not convinced, allow us to share why it’s important to use moisturizers for makeup and how you can find the one that is ideal for you.
Finding the Perfect Moisturizer for Your Skin Type
Moisturizer is an essential component of a makeup ritual that helps maintain the skin hydration level and create a protective layer. This base makeup ingredient seals moisture and prevents your skin from dryness and inflammation. Usually, there are three different types of moisturizers for makeup base:
These are oil or fatty lipid-based moisturizers that seal the moisture and reinforce the skin’s lipid coat. Emollient moisturizers suit all skin types. However, dry and sensitive skin extracts most of the benefits from the robust fatty lipid cover.
Emollient moisturizers perfectly balance the skin’s microbiome, reduce its inflammatory nature, and smoothen the surface, making it an ideal choice if you’re looking for a crease-free makeup finish. Wondering what is an ideal skincare routine to prep your skin for makeup? Then add products like cleanser, exfoliator, serum, sunscreen, etc., along with a moisturizer.
If you have oily or acne-prone skin, you must opt for humectant moisturizers. These are water-based products that lock water on the skin surface by absorbing moisture from the environment and sealing it in the epidermis.
This type of nourishing cream also plumps up loose skin and triggers the shedding of dead cells. Thus, using these products can help you get deeply hydrated, and tight skin that can deliver a flawless makeup finish.
Occlusive moisturizers are one of the best moisturizers for dry skin that form a barrier on the skin and protect it against water loss. Dry skin looks dull, uneven and can affect one’s skin tone. In such cases, applying this type of moisturizer before makeup can help people with extremely dry skin. However, you must use a soothing face wash before applying occlusive moisturizers and other makeup products.
To get a nourished and hydrated look, you can follow a comprehensive skincare routine for dry skin and see the result yourself. Occlusive moisturizers come in a thick texture, giving a light shine after makeup due to the ingredients like butter, oil, and paraffin in it. While this delivers a lustrous makeup finish, you must be careful while choosing the right texture.
Now that you know how to choose the right moisturizer for your skin and makeup, here are certain tips that you must consider while selecting moisturizers and other makeup products.
Tips to Keep in Mind While Selecting Moisturizer and other Makeup Products
- Thick moisturizers often give a dewy effect. Therefore, avoid selecting a dewy foundation that can overdo the makeup.
- While using a thick moisturizer, you can avoid applying it all over the face. Instead, you can apply the product on dry patches and balance the skin moisture.
- Usually, a foundation for dry skin contains some level of moisturizer. Therefore, if you already own such a foundation then you must purchase a lighter moisturizer for your dry skin.
- Not everyone has the time to apply moisture and primer separately, in that case opting for moisturizer with primer seems the best practice. This 2-in-1 product moisturizes your skin while creating a long-lasting base.
- Remember, face makeup can deliver an optimal finish when your face is cleansed well. Hence, picking the right cleanser is equally important. For instance, if you have an oily skin, instead of going for a regular cleanser, you must choose dual action face wash that can effectively cleanse impurities, remove excess oil and give your face a youthful radiance.
If this article helped you, go ahead and pick the right moisturizers for makeup and paint your canvas the way you want. And for some much-needed TLC, browse through the collection of Garnier skincare products and pamper your skin.