Dull hair: Causes, Solutions & Hair Care Routine
Wondering why your hair doesn’t look shiny and bouncy? It can be because a variety of elements, from the weather to your hair care routine, are working against you to make your hair dull. Dull hair tends to lack moisture, shine, and body, unlike the hair of your dreams. Fortunately, there are ways to perk up dull-looking hair. One of the best ways to fix dull hair is to understand why your hair is dull and we are here to help understand that. Here’s a list of dull hair causes and solutions to turn your lifeless locks into hair that’s healthier and glossier.
• Dull haircauses
Your hair may have lost its lustre due to several reasons, but here are some common dull hair causes that you should be aware of:
- Product build-up – Over time, your strands and your scalp may accumulate build-up and residue from shampoos or hair styling products. Sooner or later, that build-up can block your hair’s natural oils from getting into your hair shaft, which results in dull hair.
- Hard water – Minerals in hard water such as magnesium and calcium are a source of build-up and can act as a barrier for moisture penetration.
- Sun exposure – Excessive exposure to the sun’s UV rays damages the outer protective layer of the hair, and results in brittle, frizzy and dull hair.
- Heat styling – Over usage of heat styling tools such as blow dryers, straighteners, and curlers can damage the cuticle of your hair, making it dull.
- Improper hair care routine– Including too many products laden with harsh, harmful ingredients or using products that aren’t designed for your hair type can make your hair dull.
- Chemical treatments – Chemically treating your hair, i.e., colouring, perming, etc., can also decrease the natural shine of your locks and cause dull hair.
- Hormonal changes – Hormonal changes and nutritional deficiencies can also turn your hair thin, limp and dull.
- Change in weather – A change in the weather can soak up the natural moisture of your hair and lead to dull hair.
• Dull hair treatment/solution:
- Avoid overusing of hair care products
- Minimise heat styling tools
- Maintain a balanced diet and drink lots of water
- Invest in a humidifier
- Limit chemical treatments
- Cover your hair while stepping out
- Use paraben-free products
- Apply hair oils or leave-in conditioners to add softness
• Hair care routine
Now that you are aware of all the causes and solutions for dull hair, let’s look at a simple hair care routine that you can follow to get rid of dull hair on the go.
1. Oil – Oiling is a MUST in your hair care routine. This helps to hydrate and nourish your strands and scalp. An oil massage also increases hair growth by stimulating the hair follicles and improving blood circulation to the scalp. Moreover, gently massaging the scalp prevents hair fall.
2. Shampoo – You need to use a shampoo depending on your hair type. Using an ideal shampoo for dull hair will not only remove dirt, debris and odour from your hair but also keep it hydrated and healthy. You can try the Garnier Fructis Hair Food Banana Shampoo, which is one of the best shampoos for dull and dry hairfrom the Garnier Fructis Hair Food range and will help you add shine to your dull mane.
3. Conditioner – Do not skip the conditioner! Conditioning helps smoothen the hair cuticles and add body to your hair. Skipping this step will make your hair prone to breakage. Try the Garnier Fructis Hair FoodConditioner to improve the feel, appearance, and lustre of your hair.
4. Mask – A hair mask helps to hydrate and nourish your hair and is especially beneficial for the ones with dull hair. This may even improve the health of your scalp and boost the strength of your hair. And yes, the good news is that the Garnier Fructis Hair FoodMask is vegan, silicone-free and infused with the power of fruits that will help transform your hair in a minute!
5. Serum – Hair serums add shine and reduce dullness by enhancing your natural hair texture without weighing it down. Additionally, it protects your hair from external aggressors.
Browse through a wide range of Garnier Hair Food range and bring your tresses back to life, effortlessly.